Monday, June 22, 2009

The First Zucchini and Cucumber



I did not get out to my garden today until after dark so I was lurking again with the flashlight. This time in search of progress or improvement since I laid down straw. My squash is still rotting at a pretty good rate. I'm going to treat the garden with bone meal tomorrow and hope this will stop the rot on the squash and beefsteak tomatoes. Of course in the garden there is always a little disappointment and then comes a huge reward! This zucchini and cucumber tripled over the weekend and I finally got to cut something out of the garden! I am so proud I had to show you my big harvest!

Question: When the squash or zucchini starts to form can I clip off the bloom? I'm wondering if that will help them not rot. The blooms get pretty gross as the squash grows.

1 comment:

  1. Shannon,
    The rotting is very likely caused by too much rain. You can pull the blossoms off but the best thing you can do is just get them drier. Looks like they are doing fine now!

    ReplyDelete