Monday, July 6, 2009

Movin' on Up!

Before leaving for the long holiday weekend I knew we needed to do something the wrangle the tomato plants. They had outgrown their 5 foot high cages. We took the same tomato wire we used for the original cages, split it in half long ways and made 2.5 foot extenders for the top. Unlike the original cages, we couldn't connect the sides until we got them around the plants. This was definitely a two person job! Now the cages are a total of 7.5 feet high. Any higher and they are on their own! I'm getting about a half to a full pint of grape tomatoes a day. The beefsteaks and black pears haven't started turning yet but when they do we are going to be in tomatoes up to our ears! Can't wait!








A closer look...















Just something pretty from the garden...

3 comments:

  1. Wow, those are some astonishing tomato plants you're growing. I can hardly wait to see a picture showing the tomatoes ripening. I bet that will be beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They really are nice. They seem to be so under control...I need to go back to some of your older posts to look at your cages. My cages turned out to be too flimsy, and my tomatoes have these great huge heavy arms sprawling all over the place and I can't seem to keep the whole thing UP. You're doing a great job.

    What is that georgeous purple flower?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Shannon! I was trying to see how to add the link to the old post about the cages. I've been so happy with them. If you go to April 27th there is a post about how I made them. I've still had the occasional arm break out on it's own but otherwise they are really well contained. I just use the plant velcro to attach them on the outside so they don't break. Note to self next year, as funny as it may look, put the height extender on when they are small.

    The flower is a Hydrangea. I love it and it is very low maintenance and likes mostly shade.

    ReplyDelete