Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Garden Update


The garden and I seem to have hit a comfortable pace. I get out there about every 3 days to bring in whatever is ready. The cucumbers are starting to die back some and not produce as much as quickly. I am picking about every 3 days and getting about 6 cucumbers. Just a few weeks ago I was getting 6 or so a day. This is a better pace for sure!

The black plum tomatoes have really take off though. I picked 38 this morning and am now looking up directions for freezing so I can keep them for sauce this winter. Next summer I am going to venture into canning but this summer I'm just doing a lot of freezing. It should be fine since they are just going in sauce.

The beefsteak, pictured above, is putting out about 5 tomatoes every few days. Looks like it has plenty more to go.

The marigolds look good. I think they are doing their job, I still don't seem to be having issue with critters and I've seen the rabbit twice, but not in the garden. I do throw a grape tomato or two behind the shed when I am picking, maybe that makes them happy enough to leave the garden alone.

In the cucumber picture above you can barely see my mini red bell pepper plant. It has produced about a dozen peppers. They are so cute and so sweet! They are part of dinner tonight I think.

The yellow bell pepper has done pretty well with 4 so far. The first one was regular size the next few were a little on the small size but very tasty.

Getting ready to fertilize again this week and thankfully we had some rain so I was able to save some water.

Happy gardening everyone!

3 comments:

  1. Wow, your tomato plants look so big and tall and strong! Those cages did the trick for sure. Better cages is definitely on my list of stuff to do for next year. I'm glad I'm not the only one with dying cukes. Mine did the same thing, pumping out, then slowing down, and then just died altogether. I was hoping it was the natural cycle and that I didn't kill them off....

    ReplyDelete
  2. It definitely is the lifecycle from what I've read on other sites.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Speechless. Or would that be wordless? Just wow!

    ReplyDelete