Tuesday, April 21, 2009

I Promise to Stop Showing You Dirt Soon...

But not today...

Last entry I showed that the gardens were almost complete. The picture attached shows the conditioning I did to the soil. I purchased leaf compost from my local nursery. Sometimes this is referred to as "black gold" because it is so rich in nutrients and plants love it.

I read that you need to make sure that it is leaf compost and hasn't been mixed with bad stuff like weed trimmings or other unsavory yard waste. It should smell rich and clump when you pick it up but not pack tightly. It shouldn't have a super strong ammonia smell.

In order to lighten it up a little I mixed an 8 liter bag of vermiculite and probably another gallon bucket of perlite in with the soil. Both can be purchased at your local nursery or garden center. It was easy to do this year since it is all new soil. I just used my garden claw to mix and then the shovel to really get it moved around.

I'll be planting this weekend, I can't wait! Next time plants and not just dirt!

5 comments:

  1. Ha! I know what you mean about dirt. I think about dirt a lot more than I suspect is normal. Last Fall, "obsessed" didn't quite cover it. Me and my mulching lawnmower were buds. Bags full of chopped leaves, followed by bags full of grass clippings. Oh yeeaahh.... And I think there are few other places than blogs like this where the peeps understand my happiness at turning over a shovel full of earthworms that first weekend back in March. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, checking out what you're doing Shannon just answered a few questions of mine that I posted about 15 minutes ago. I should check out my local nursery regarding the leaf compost. I haven't done anything to my soil - my soil obsession starts and ends with a nagging worry that I should be doing something with my soil!!! I think it kind of intimidates me because it seems complicated, but I just blundered my way through starting some seeds and I felt the same way about that so I should probably figure out something to do with my soil before I put any plants in the ground in a few weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A good resource for soil concerns/amendments, ph levels, etc. is your area's Master Gardener Program/ Cooperative Extension listed under your county agencies. MGs offer soil sampling for a small fee. The testing is done by VA Tech. The results include how to correct problems. MD also has this program, DC??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't even get me started on worms...I love them! I was picking through the dirt as we were taking out the grass in the beds and throwing them back!

    As for soil, the extension office is a great resource as mentioned by Bobbi and a lot of your local garden centers will do it for free.

    ReplyDelete